When seeking the best laser hair removal in Toronto, you want to choose an aesthetician and laser clinic that knows what they’re doing. The best laser hair removal in Toronto is at IGBeauty because we understand and have the practical experience to know that laser hair removal is an exact science. Laser procedures provide the perfect and safe alternative to waxing and tweezing unwanted body hair and we are industry experts.
The Best Laser Hair Removal in Toronto
Laser hair removal is a common cosmetic procedure that is undergone by women and men. The laser beams highly concentrated bursts of light directly into the hair follicles allowing them to absorb the brightness. When the pigment in our hair follicles takes in the light, the hair growth is halted, and the follicles are destroyed. This may sound frightening to first-time patients, but the LightSheet Duet laser by Lumenis is FDA and Health Canada approved. This laser used isn’t harmful to our bodies and most people report that they don’t feel anything other than a short pinch while they’re having their hair removal procedure done.
In order for us to be the best laser hair clinic in Toronto, we have acquired the education and experience to properly perform this procedure. Our technicians are certified and received their certification from top Canadian beauty colleges. In order to practice in Ontario, this is necessary, and we ensure that each aesthetician we hire has not only the proper certification but hands-on experience as well.
In addition to training and certification, we are dedicated to the safety of our clients and use eye protectors in the form of wraparound sunglasses. The technician and the client both wear the glasses to shade their eyes from the bright light of the laser. Furthermore, we use a specially formulated gel to keep the skin cool even though the laser emits heat.
Laser Hair Removal: Frequently Asked Quesions
Is it Worth Getting Laser Hair Removal?
When it comes to getting rid of unwanted body hair, you’ve got a wide range options - from shaving, to waxing, to depilatory creams. However, if you are looking for a more permanent solution, you may consider getting laser hair removal treatment from professional laser technicians at IGBeauty Laser & Skin Clinic. Yet, before you sign up for your first session, you may question how effective the treatment is and if it is really worth it.
Laser hair removal offers a long-term reduction in hair growth - to the point that you can stop shaving completely. Just imagine your life without razor burn, pesky ingrown hairs, and post-waxing irritation!
Furthermore, the laser machine can be used to target any part on the body: legs, underarms, bikini line, stomach… You name it! Even larger parts of the body can be covered relatively fast. The procedure is completely safe and can even be applied to get rid of annoying upper-lip hair. Overall, laser hair removal presents a fast, safe, effective, and long-term solution to unwanted body hair.
Of course, laser hair removal may seem like a big one-time investment, but if you consider how much time and money you will save on waxing, shaving, and tweezing over your lifetime, laser hair removal is well worth it!
Does Laser Hair Removal Last Forever?
It is a common belief that laser hair removal yields permanent results. However, it is not as simple as this.
Indeed, several sessions of laser hair removal can result in a significant reduction of hair growth. Yet, there is a chance that some hair follicles are not destroyed completely and could potentially repair and begin producing hair again. The good news is that damaged hair follicles would produce much less hair than before, and a single touch up session every now and again would solve the problem.
Is Laser Hair Removal Painful?
There were times when laser hair removal was indeed painful. However, the technology has come very far over the years, and modern laser devices only cause minimal discomfort, such as slight redness of the skin or minimal swelling, which fades away within a few days. During the procedure itself, ice and numbing creams can be applied to minimize the discomfort.
The laser emits a light beam at a specific wavelength that targets the melanin cells in your hair. When used properly, the laser should only destroy the hair follicle itself, without damaging the surrounding skin. However, in inexperienced hands, the laser machine can cause burns or even skin discoloration!
This is why it is crucial to choose a professional and experienced laser technician, such as our laser hair removal experts at IGBeauty Laser & Skin Clinic. During your free consultation at IGBeauty, the laser technician will devise a treatment plan that suits specifically your skin and hair type and will make sure that every session goes smoothly, safely, and painlessly.
Is it Better to Wax?
Both waxing and laser hair removal are potential solutions for unwanted body hair. Waxing involves placing a sticky substance on the hair you wish to remove. The substance bonds with the hair, and then everything is pulled out together, removing the hair by the root.
However, the biggest drawback of waxing is that the hair removal is only temporary. After only two to six weeks, you will require another waxing session. And several weeks later - another one… In addition, if you do choose to go with waxing, shaving in-between sessions is a bad idea! Since the wax needs some hair to “grab onto”, you will need to let your hair grow out a little. Which means you’ll have to walk around all shaggy every now and again!
Furthermore, waxing is far from being pleasant. The potential side effects include burns, skin tears, irritation, skin tears, ingrown hairs, and infection.
On the other hand, laser hair removal presents a nearly-permanent solution to unwanted body hair with only minimal side effects. After just a few sessions several weeks apart, you will forget about pesky hair for good!
Laser hair removal is not completely painless, but it is not as painful as waxing. Ice and numbing creams can be used during the procedure to minimize the discomfort. Furthermore, there are less and less unpleasant sensations during each subsequent treatment, as the hair becomes finer.
Unlinke with waxing, it is actually advisable to shave in between the laser treatments, so you will never have to awkwardly hide hairy legs or underarms again.
Is Laser Hair Removal Safe?
Laser hair removal utilises an intense beam of light to remove unwanted hair. The laser energy is absorbed by melanin located inside the hair follicle, causing permanent damage to it. As a result, the hair growth stops. The darker the hair, the more energy is absorbed, and the more effective the hair removal is.
Any risks associated with laser hair removal are due to potential damage to the skin surrounding the hair follicles. However, these side effects are only minor and fade within a few days following the treatment. The most common symptoms involve skin irritation - for example, swelling, redness, and mild pain. The good news is that numbing creams and proper aftercare will minimize the symptoms.
If the laser hair removal is not done by an experienced professional, and the treatment is not tailored to your skin tone and hair colour, you can receive unwanted side effects, such as skin burns or even lightening or darkening of your skin! This is why it is imperative to choose a laser technician who has many years of experience in the field and knows all the “ins” and “outs” of laser hair removal. Luckily, all of our laser hair removal experts at IGBeauty are true professionals, and will develop a personalized treatment plan depending on your skin tone and hair colour and type.
When you choose to undergo laser hair removal at IGBeauty Laser & Skin clinic, you have nothing to worry about! Laser hair removal is completely safe when done by a professional.
The Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal offers a number of benefits as compared to other common hair removal methods, such as shaving or waxing:
- Save time. Laser hair removal sessions are fast and efficient. With no downtime after the treatment, you can continue with your day immediately. In addition, think about all that time you will save when you won’t have to shave each and every day anymore!
- Save money. Laser hair removal may seem more expensive than shaving or waxing treatments. However, consider how much money you spend every time you go for a waxing session or buy a new razor. Now, calculate what it adds up to over a lifetime. The fact is that a lifetime of temporary hair removal turns out to be more expensive than a few laser hair removal sessions that give permanent results.
- Forget about ingrown hairs. Regular shaving or waxing can result in annoying and painful ingrown hairs. The good news is that laser hair removal actually reduces the occurrence of ingrown hair. In addition, it is a great solution for those who have sensitive skin and experience irritation after waxing or shaving.
- You can shave between sessions. One of the best parts of laser hair removal is that you don’t have to experience that embarrassing phase of letting the hair grow out prior to the next waxing session. You can continue shaving the treated areas and are, in fact, encouraged to shave right before your appointment.
Things You Need to Know before Getting Laser Hair Removal
If you have finally decided to choose the path of laser hair removal, you may want to know a few important points before you begin your treatments:
- Don’t tweeze or wax before the treatment. Since the laser targets the pigment in the hair, the hair has to actually be present in the hair follicle in order for the treatment to be successful. In other words, you should avoid waxing, tweezing, threading, or other treatments that remove the hair by the roots for at least two weeks prior to your laser treatment. However, shaving is completely fine and even recommended.
- Hair type and colour matters. Because the laser machine targets melanin inside the hair, the laser is more likely to be effective on darker hair, especially if you have light skin. However, there are special types of laser that can be used on darker skin tones. At IGBeauty Laser & Skin Clinic, our GentleMax Pro ® (Alexandrite / Nd:YAG laser) yields great results for darker skin, while our LightSheer® Duet™ laser device is extremely effective for lighter skin tones. After just a few treatments, you will notice up to 98% reduction in hair growth - whether your skin is fair or dark.
- Avoid sun exposure prior to the treatment. Tanned skin has more pigment and is more similar in colour to the hair. This makes it more difficult for the laser to distinguish between the hair and the skin. More pigment in the skin will also attract energy from the laser, increasing the risk of burns or even discoloration. As such, it is best to avoid sun exposure for a month prior to the treatment. It is also recommended to cover up and apply sunscreen after the treatment, as your skin will become more sensitive.
- You may need touch-up treatments. Laser hair removal results in permanent hair reduction, but some regrowth is completely normal. The good news is that the new hair is much finer and thinner, and can be easily treated with a single touch-up session.
- You will need multiple treatments. The laser only targets hair follicles that are in active growth phase. Since not all of your hair is actively growing at the same time, several sessions are needed. After a single treatment, you may see some “leftover” hair, - repeat sessions are required to treat those hairs that are re-entering the growth phase. Most of our clients require 5 to 7 short sessions, 4 to 8 weeks apart.
- You can expect some irritation after your treatment. The laser machine produces an intense beam of light, which can cause some redness and irritation of the treated area. This is completely normal and can last up to several days. You may also notice some mild swelling around the hair follicles. Most people feel fine after a few hours and can continue their daily activities right away.
Laser Hair Removal Aftercare Tips
There is no doubt that laser hair removal offers a number of benefits - from increased confidence to time saving. However, to make sure that the treatment yields the best results possible, it is important to follow all of the aftercare recommendations. This will not only prevent damage to the skin in your treatment area, but will also prepare the hair follicles for your next laser hair removal session. Follow all of the instructions of our laser technicians at IGBeauty, as well as these aftercare tips:
- Avoid sunlight. After the hair removal procedure, your skin will be especially sensitive to the sun. Always wear sunscreen and cover up your skin whenever possible.
- Soothe your skin. For several hours to days after the treatment, you may experience slight pain or irritation. Apply ice to the treated area in order to reduce swelling. Don’t worry - the side effects will go away within a few days.
- Expect some itching. The area under treatment will likely feel itchy for at least the first day. Be prepared: buy an itch cream or a bottle of aloe vera cream ahead of time and apply to your skin right after the session. Do your best not to scratch the treated area, as this will only lead to more irritation.
- Be careful with products. Avoid makeup or other cosmetic products following the treatment. In case you must use something, choose mineral or chemical-free options. Right after the treatment, your skin will be sensitive, and cosmetic products could irritate it further. Try to be as gentle as possible.
- Contact IGBeauty if you have any problems. If pain, itching, or irritation does not go away after a few days, call our laser hair removal specialists as soon as possible to make sure everything is fine.
Trusting Your Technician and the Technology
The best laser hair removal in Toronto is at IGBeauty because we hire only the best technicians. We value our clients and want to ensure their comfort during their hair removal sessions. Trusting your technician is important since you will be with them for 4-6 sessions. Our technicians are kind, friendly and able to answer any questions you may have about the laser hair removal process. Moreover, our technicians will never pressure you to purchase additional products or services and we offer a complimentary consultation appointment.
At IGBeauty, we feel that honesty is the best policy and will go over the procedure in its entirety confirming that you understand the risks involved (although, they are minimal, and most people do not experience any). Finally, we want you to understand the technology used for your laser hair removal treatment. We use only the LightSheet Duet laser by Lumenis for the hair removal treatment because Lumenis is a reputable, brand name product that is certified medical-grade.
The best laser hair removal in Toronto is at IGBeauty. Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information about the procedure and to book your free consultation.