Laser hair removal is the perfect way to achieve smooth, soft, and bare skin in the areas you need it most. The days of shaving and waxing are over, with laser hair removal serving as the perfect option for those wanting to get rid of their body or facial hair for good. But the treatments themselves need to be accompanied by proper prep and follow-up care to achieve the best results. Here are some tips on how to get the best results when doing laser hair removal.
- Ensure you have the right colour type of hair: Laser hair removal works by using laser light to target the dark pigment of hairs. If your hair is white, grey, red, or blonde, laser hair removal may not be as effective for you as darker hair colours. To see if laser hair removal is right for you, book an initial consultation with an IG Beauty laser hair removal expert, and we will be glad to assist you.
- Do Not Tan: Tanning increases melanin in your skin. Lasers are attracted to melanin, so an increase in melanin can make it challenging for the laser to differentiate between hair and your skin. Before your treatments, avoid sunlight as much as possible, and ensure you’re using sunscreens with minimum SPF 30 on a regular basis. Self -tanners and artificial tanning also should be avoided. Sun exposure can also make your skin more sensitive, which is why we recommend no tanning approximately two to four weeks before and after your treatments. Otherwise, you risk the chance of pigment problems in the treatment areas and other adverse events such as a heat rash.
- Shave, Don’t Wax or Tweeze Before Treatments: Because a laser hair removal treatment targets the dark pigments in roots of your hair, it’s recommended not to wax or tweeze your hair before treatments. Prior to your treatments, you should shave, trim or use depilatory cream the areas that you’ll be treating instead of waxing or tweezing. This allows the hair roots to stay put, and grow-in in time for your treatment. On the day you’re receiving your, come to our clinic after you’ve shaved or trimmed your hair as close to the root as possible. This will allow the laser energy to concentrate on the root of the hair, rather than the tips of the hair. Otherwise hair gets pressed to the surface of your skin. When the laser destroys the hair shaft it can injure the surrounding skin.
- Exfoliate and hydrate your skin 12-24 hours before laser hair removal treatment. Any mechanical exfoliators can be used such as scrubs, loofah, exfoliating gloves. Avoid chemical exfoliators. Exfoliation will remove a layer of dead skin cells, decrease reflection of laser light and increase absorption of laser light by follicles of the hair. If you do this, you’re setting yourself up to have the most effective treatment possible.
- Stick to a Routine: Part of a successful laser hair removal treatment is sticking to the correct amount of frequency. Your laser hair removal technician will indicate how many sessions you need, and the right settings for your treatments. Make sure you stick to the schedule, or else you risk making the treatments less effective, and increase the chance for regrowth of hair. Typically, sessions for facial hair laser removal should take place every four to six weeks, and body hair laser removal should take place every six to eight weeks to achieve optimal results.
To book your laser hair removal session, give us a call at (416) 484-4884.